Nature Noted

Notes on a changing Nature

Name:
Location: Bellville, Texas, United States

I never would have predicted this one

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to everyone.
If you've ever bought a lottery ticket in Colorado then you helped fund the purchase of the Red Mountain Ranch north of Fort Collins this week.
The deal closed this week. Larimer County, Colorado and the Nature Conservancy worked together to buy the 13,500 acre ranch which sprawls across two states. Colorado has a program called Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) which uses lottery proceeds to conserve land in the state. $7.85 million from GOCO was used for the deal, along with sales tax money from the county. TNC bought the part of the ranch in Wyoming. It's a big chunk of land, but actually just one piece in an overall plan to preserve 55,000 acres in what's called the Laramie Foothills/Mountains to Plains Project. Here's a link to a longer article earlier in December outlining the overall plan.
As I was reading the Ft. Collins paper about the deal, I came across another item of interest. Congratulations to Dr. David Anderson of Colorado State for winning the Aldo Leopold award.
That sparks a public confession. Before I started researching land trusts, I had never heard of Aldo Leopold. I know, I'm exposed for the fraud that I am. I'm in the middle of Sand County Almanac now, and it's wonderful. Everywhere you look in the world of ecology, you come across Leopold. Why I had never heard of him, I haven't a clue. But this is one of the reasons I wanted to do this blog, To teach myself about a subject that interested me, but didn't know much about.
So my hope for 2005, besides that of a happy year for my family, is that I can continue to fill in the blind spots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker